Menu Close

Minutes of the 96thTendring Hundred & District Bowling
Association Management
Annual General Meeting held on 7th November 2019


Present
Dave Watts, Ernie Goodyear, Clive Pettican, Mark Hale
Delegates
Nigel Foulkes Brantham, Brian Hobbs Clacton, Ron Spendlove Dovercourt, Dave West Frinton, Brian Ward Happy Valley, Jim Tank Holland on Sea, Frank Quinn Kirby, Peter Andrews Mistley & Manningtree, Terry Stevens Thorpe, Ron Bennett Wivenhoe

The President opened the meeting with a minutes silence for those members who had passed away since the last AGM.

Apologies for their absence were received from Adrian Mann and Phil Armstrong.

The minutes of the AGM held on 8th November 2018 were approved and signed by Dave Watts.

There was no matters arising from those minutes.

Secretaries Report
Clive explained that we had largely a new committee this year and thanked the clubs, their members and the delegates for bearing with us whilst we all learned and came to terms with our new roles.

Clive thanked Gary Robinson, the departing Web Master, and welcomed his replacement Ron Bennett.

Clive announced that Ray Hunt would not be standing for re election as Match Secretary and thanked him for his time and commitment in the role and to show the committees appreciation Mark Hale proposed that Ray become a Life Member of the Association which was passed unopposed.

Clive explained that this year he had attempted to obtain new sponsorship from Stena Shipping Line but was not successful. Clive asked that if any clubs or delegates had any ideas in this area he would be pleased to hear from them and would vigorously pursue any leads.
Clive said that Wivenhoe’s letter to Phil Armstrong on 10th August regarding an incident on What’s App was discussed by the committee and it was agreed the incident had been satisfactorily dealt with and no changes were required in the current use of this new tool whcih generally worked very well during the season.

Clive explained that the presentation dinner/dance at the Clacton Gold Club was in itself a success except that only 46 tickets were sold and the Association just about broke even. Clive explained that the Association was not in the business of making a profit but we did need to atleast break even and if prices increase next year this may not be possible. Clive said the committee would endeavour to publicise next years event more effectively but would ask the delegates to take this message back to their committee’s who would, hopefully, emphasise to their members that the event was in danger next year.
The committee would discuss in January the details of next years dinner/dance including the venue and the cost.

League Secretaries Report:
Phil Armstrong has resigned from this post and in his absence Ernie Goodyear reported that he had completed the Windsor League fixtures and had produced drafts for the Premier and Stanford leagues dependent on the outcome of the vote below.

Competition Secretaries Report
Due to Phil Armstrong’s absence there was no report

Match Secretaries Report
Outgoing Match Secretary Ray Hunt sent a report which Clive Pettican read out. Ray said that with the help of the clubs and members all match commitments were fulfilled during the season.
During Ray’s years as Match Secretary we had achieved 100% turnout.
All outdoor games had been allocated on a rota basis bringing in extra cash for those clubs involved.
Ray thanked the clubs caterers and green keepers for their efforts without whom there would not have been any games.
Ray was surprised when he heard that a nomination had been received for the position of Match Secretary, however, to save any embarrassment Ray decided he would not go forward for re-election.

Treasurer’s Report
In Adrian’s absence due to his wedding anniversary he sent in a report which Clive Pettican read out.
Adrian thanked everyone for their support in his first year as treasurer and thanked Ernie for checking the books.
There had been extra expense this year on pennants, lapel badges £482.34, bowls stickers £61.33, Umpire £50, 100 more first time badges £284.94, however all of these will last us for a number of years.
Adrian reiterated Clive’s comments on the dinner/dance.
Adrian said we could do with more company’s coming forward to advertise in our handbook so if anyone knew of any companies who might be interested please let Clive or himself know.
Adrian thanked Peter Halliday for his continued support and OPS UK Ltd who had come forward this year.
Adrian said he is still waiting for the competition fees from Phil Armstrong and had asked Phil to send these to him.

Several proposals were voted on and here are the results.
From Frinton.
All clubs in the Premier League to submit their 12 (genuine) A team players prior to the start of the season, these players would then be ineligible to play in the Windsor League. Any unnamed player playing 2/3 times for their Premier League A side would also become ineligible to play in the Windsor League.
For 3, Against 7

Wivenhoe Bowls Club is keen to have a mixed league and we propose that we have a mixed league with 2/3 rinks per team. Every rink to have one person of each gender. We suggest Monday evening as this inconveniences the least Players.
For 3, Against 6

Suggestions raised at the last delegates meeting to be voted on.
Tendring Two Wood competition to be a one day event at one Club.
For 9, Against 1
It is too late to implement this for 2019 but Clive will contact all clubs to ascertain who is interested in holding this and convenient dates and the revised Two Wood competition will run from 2020.

Knockout Trophy/Plate to remain as the current format.
For 1, Against 8
The committee will discuss the new format for implementation in 2020.

Ladies to be able to play in the Windsor League should any club need to use them.
For 3, Against 5
In view of the above result a proposal was received from Peter Andrew of Mistley and Manningtree and seconded by Jim Tang that the Windsor League games consisted of 3 teams instead of 4.
For 2, Against 7
This result prompted furter discussion and it was explained that Mistley and Manningtree only have 10 men available to play in the Windsor League and would need to resign from this league if they were not able to make up the numbers from their ladies. It was agreed that an exception could be made for Mistley and Manningtree to make up any shortfall by using their ladies for next season only after which the situation would be reviewed. A proposal was received to this effect.
For 9, Against 0

Two down from the Premier League and one up from the Stanford League.
For 9, Against 1

Wednesday evening matches with meals to be dropped. This was discussed in some detail and it was agreed that there was no issue to vote on.

Election of Officers

President Ernie Goodyear
Vice President Terry Stevens
Immediate Past President Dave Watts
Secretary Clive Pettican
Treasurer Adrian Mann
League Secretary Ron Bennett
Competition Secretary Phil Armstrong
Match Secretary Mark Hale
Committee Member Peter Halliday

There is a vacancy for one committee member so if the club secretaries could let their members know and anyone who is interested please contact the secretary Clive Pettican.

Any Other Business

Ernie Goodyear will liaise with new League Secretary Ron Bennett regarding the league fixtures.

The outgoing President Dave Watts closed the meeting at 21.20

Minutes of the Tendring Hundred & District Bowling Association Management
Annual General Meeting held on 8th November 2018 at Clacton Indoor B.C.


Members Present
John Hall, D Watts, D Warren, C Pettican, E Goodyear, R Hunt, B Hopkins, M Hale
Apologies
None

The President and Chairman, John Hall, welcomed the delegates and thanked everyone for attending.  This was John’s last meeting as Chairman and he thanked everyone for their support during his term.

.
.

Minutes of the last Management Committee Meeting held on 9th November having been previously circulated were approved and signed.

Matters arising from those minutes.  None.

Officers Reports:

Secretary:  As this was David’s last meeting as Secretary he thanked everyone for their support during his period in office.  David was presented with a gift from the committee and thanked for the commitment to the role as Secretary over the last ten years.

League Secretary: This was also Ernie’s last meeting as League Secretary and he thanked everyone for their help and cooperation during his term in office.
There will be 9 teams in the Premier League, 6 in the Stanford and 15 in the Windsor League and 18 in the Knockout Cup.
The Premier teams will play each other home and away totalling 18 games with one team resting each game.
The Stanford will play each other 4 times home and away totalling 20 games.
The Windsor will be split into two leagues of 8 and 7 playing each other 3 times totalling 21 and 18 respectively, games which will be played  on Tuesdays bar one on 5th September.
The Knockout Cup has 18 entries which means there will be 2 games in the preliminary round then 8 games being played in round one with the winners going into the Trophy and the losers going into the Plate.
Ernie handed out the League fixtures to the delegates for 2019.
Ernie said he would be available to help his successor if needed and he would still be on the committee as Vice President.

Match Secretary:
Ray Hunt thanked Mark Hale for his assistance with getting players to play in games.

Competition Secretary:
Clive Pettican thanked Brightlingsea and Kirby for hosting the semi finals and finals of the competitions and asked delegates of these clubs to pass those comments to the officials and volunteers involved who ensured both weekends ran smoothly.
Clive explained  that 76 players had entered competitions for 2019, same as 2018, which enabled the prize money to be maintained at £25 for the Winners and £15 for the Runners Up.
The draw  was made with Dave Warren on the 15th October.
Clive explained he was stepping down from this role and thanked the players and clubs for their support during his time in office.

Treasurer:
David Warren distributed the end of year statement and thanked Ernie for carrying out the audit.  The figures were similar to 2017 but with income exceeding expenditure by £125.84 so our current position is £2778.22.

Proposal by Wivenhoe Bowls Club:
That clubs having been selected and agreed to the use of their club for THDBA outdoor representative matches in 2019 receive the same hospitality payments from all those participating in those games.  If there is a conflict between teams in charges then the higher charge should be adopted.
This proposal was then discussed by the delegates and supported by Thorpe.
David Warren then explained that the clubs were invited to host the matches and knew the total income before agreeing to host the match.  THDBA still has to pay the host club if any players don’t turn up.
Essex County paid £10 in 2018, £6.50 to the host club and £3.50 to Essex County.
The 2019 fixtures and fees have already been agreed.
This proposal means players from Tendring will pay more and there would be a danger less players would put their names down and we could lose these matches.
Ray Hunt said clubs pay £10 at Witham.
John Hall suggested that the committee should discuss this further with 2020 in mind.
The proposal was put to a vote and the delegates votes in favour 2 and against 7.
It was also agreed to discuss this matter at the next delegates meeting.

Election of Officers:
The Hon. Secretary reported the nominations were as follows:

President Dave Watts
Vice President Ernie Goodyear
Past President John Hall
Secretary Clive Pettica
Treasurer Adrian Mann
League Secretary Phil Armstrong
Competition Secretary Phil Armstrong
Match Secretary Ray Hunt
Committee Members Mark Hale, Peter Halliday, Melvyn Blackshaw

No nominations from the floor were made.

All the above were voted onto the Committee.

Any other business:
Terry Stevens said he was disappointed that no apology had been  received from Happy Valley or Peter Halliday.

Gary Robinson said the website would be the same but with a link to a second web site run by League Republic.  However 2019 would be a trial and this would only be set up for the Premier and Stanford Leagues.  Gary explained that as soon as results are entered the league table is automatically updated.
Gary suggested results could be sent to Phil Armstrong shortly after the games whilst still at the club house thus increasing efficiency with the card to be posted in the normal manner.
Phil Armstrong said it was important that players on the scorecards are registered.

Frinton said no mobiles would be allowed on their green in 2019 except for an emergency.
Frinton said abuse on the green would not be tolerated and would be reported immediately to the committee.

Frinton said they have tables for sale at £20 Ono.

Terry Stevens said that there had been occasions this year when players wore shorts of dubious quality.  There was a discussion on this about wearing Bowls England shorts only or if not at least tailored shorts.  Terry said that his club would monitor the situation.

Date of Next Meeting:

Management Meeting Thursday 24th January 2019 at Clacton Indoor BC
Group 1 Pre Season Meeting Thursday   4th April 2019 – confirmed by Group
THDBA Pre Season Meeting Thursday 11th April 2019 at Clacton Indoor BC

The new President Dave Watts thanked the delegates and committee and closed the meeting.